RSS

Monday 27 April 2009

Thon Mayonnaise (Tuna Salad)

I thought it might be an idea to post up some ideas for Afternoon Snacks or, as it is known here, "Goûter" which literally means 'taste' but in parlance means the snack children have after school. Anyway, the kids at my daughters's school, (a Bilingual French/Breton Catholic school, fabulous, honestly) were so taken with the sandwiches I sent in with the girls for mid-morning break (NO brown bags lunches here in France! Zut alors! But that can be it's own post...) that they requested the recipe to give to their Mothers to make at home. So, I typed it up, printed it out and it is now made in lots of French households around us, according to the children who have thanked me at school. How fun.

La Recette de Kitty Thon Mayonnaise

2 boite 200 ml/185gm Thon, égoutté (2 tins of tuna, drained - I use Chunk light Tuna)
1 boite 425ml/258gm Maïs Doux, égoutté (1 tin of sweetcorn, drained)
2 carottes, râpées (2 carrots, grated)
250 ml Mayonnaise (I prefer Best Foods / Hellmans)
100-200 gm Emmental, râpé (Swiss cheese, grated)
1/2 cuillère Poivre gris moulu (1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper, freshly ground)
1 cuillère Sel au Céleri (1 teaspoon Celery Salt)
1/4 cuillère Piment de Cayenne Moulu (1/4 teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper)
20 ml jus de citron (Lemon Juice)
Mélange. Goûter et rectifier l'assaisonnement. Pour des sandwiches, salade, tomate farci. (Mix all ingredients together. Taste and adjust seasoning, I usually add a bit of seasalt. Great for sandwiches, Tuna Salad Plates, Stuffed tomatoes OR that All-American favourite: Tuna Melt!)
Bon appétit!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So I'm guessing this version might be a crime of state in France??
1. Open can of tuna
2. Open old packet of mayonnaise you found in the back of the drawer in the break room.
3. Stir together with tongue blade, straw, whatever. God knows you'll never find a lick of silverware in this place.
4. Inhale

Owen said...

Hi Kitty, hope you don't mind people dropping in from out of the blue blogosphere, but I couldn't help taking a look after reading your comment on la Framéricaine's blog just now, and it sounds like you are having all sorts of fun in Brittany... although I live near Paris, we just got back from a week near Morlaix, where we go frequently to visit my belle mère. Some of my previous posts, and more to come, show some of those travels, among many other things... anyway, I thought your words to la Fram were very kind and thoughtful, getting ready for moving to France is not easy ! But you know that, as you've done it already, and I too did it 17 years ago. Seems like yesterday.

Kitty said...

Dear Distracted by Shiny Objects: (Your comment made me snort with laughter, by the way... my cats stared at me.)Yes. You could get arrested by the food police here for such an act. So, if need be, you would practice said technique in a broom cupboard at work, or, your own home, with shutters drawn and door locked. Of course here, everything shuts for lunch between 12 and 2, so you would be rather alone in the break room at work anyway. As for said technique you list, I used that often when I worked retail in the States, but I would always nick a fork from the silverware display, then return it after lunch, cleaned and polished. (Read: licked well and wiped clean on a display table linen.)
Owen: Always a pleasure to find new faces on my Blog and you are very welcome! I adore Paris and try to get over there whenever possible. And the coastline above Morlaix is quite stunning, especially the drive around to Lannion. It's a pity people don't spend more time there to enjoy that bit of the Côte de Granit Rose, since it seems getting in and out of Roscoff as quickly as possible is most folk's motivation. Thank you for stopping by and do come again!

Unknown said...

Can't find a way to leave a comment to the above post and haven't seen/read you lately. Hope all is well. IF YOU HAVE TIME for silliness...
Tag--You're IT!!! (imagine the sound of footsteps running away...) I've tagged you for a meme over at my place to do if and when you have time, if and when you feel like it. Enjoy your day and thanks for your visits and comments over my way:>)

Post a Comment

Comments are the clotted cream and fresh strawberry jam on the freshly-baked scones of my thoughts. Thank you for them, they're delicious!